Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Is WordPress Better Than Blogger?

For the last few years I use to think that WordPress was better than Blogger. And, to be honest, during the last few years, maybe so. But, things have changed. Or, more so, my opinions have. Rest assured, I'll explain why I no longer feel WordPress is better than Blogger. And also, I'll explain why I use to feel this way.

Firstly, let me explain to you why I enjoyed WordPress so much a few years ago, more so than blogger. With WordPress, I could maintain and operate a very versatile blog using my own domain. All that was needed was for me to purchase the domain name and purchase web hosting. From there, I could download and install WordPress on my server at no charge. Later on, most web hosting companies that used cPanel offered an auto WordPress install feature.

During the same period, Blogger was also available for domain names. Same situation as WordPress. Users were required to purchase a domain name and web hosting. From there, with a few minor tweaks, Blogger would point to your domain hosting account, writing flat HTML files to your server.

So far things seemed evenly matched, right? Yes! Very true, but they weren't. WordPress had some leading edges that I'll explain. WordPress, though more advanced for most users, was able to be customized and tweaked greatly. For me, one of the most appealing factors in WordPress customization was it's ability to be tweaked for SEO. However, Blogger too was able to be customized as well; but the process of tweaking didn't come as natural or flow as freely. All in all, WordPress was by far the preferred platform for me.

But, that was then, and this is now. Further, I'll explain why I have flipped and now prefer using Blogger over WordPress. To make a long story short, I can say it's because Blogger is simple and SEO has changed. The process of optimizing a site for search engines is greatly different than it once was just a few years ago. That fact alone, coupled with the amazing simplicity of Blogger's platform, makes things look very appealing to me.

One additional aspect that I must share is something quite large, This last element is what made me take the final push towards migrating my existing work and creating future work on Blogger. Blogger now offers free domain hosting. Simply purchase the domain name and Blogger will host your domain name at no charge. In fact, if you purchase the domain name using their service, the domain name will be automatically configured, thus saving you a lot of work and time.

The last element is the fact that Blogger has very clean and well coded templates, coupled with the automatic ability to use Google AdSense ad units. And the very last element is the ever changing SEO, which I will cover in a future post, so stay tuned. All in all, if you want my final opinion on the matter, when it comes to mass building high quality niche blogs, Blogger is better than WordPress. Simply because they are very cheap to build, easy to maintain, and search engine friendly according to modern SEO standards.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Wayne said...

What happened? You've changed, it's like I don't know you anymore. hahahahahaha

Both have their pluses imo. one big plus that WordPress has over Blogger is that WordPress can be made to be a mini CMS...which is really cool

9/25/2009 03:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home